Monday, October 11, 2010

Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is?


This afternoon, I was attempting to plant some daffodil and tulip bulbs but the ground was so hard and dry from the drought, I didn't make much headway. While I was working, I was distracted by this big bird that landed on the fence. I went inside to get my camera and was able to get a few pictures of it. It's the largest bird I've ever seen in my yard! I think it might be a falcon but I'm not sure. If anyone knows what kind of bird this is, please let me know. It certainly is a stately looking creature, to say the least. I wouldn't want to make it mad!

6 comments:

Alde said...

That looks like a juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk.

Bluegrass Gardener said...

Alde, I think you may be right. I looked up red-tailed hawks and the pictures I saw do look similar. I did think the bird in my yard was young too, either a baby or juvenile. Thanks for responding!

Nickie said...

Yup, red tailled hawk for sure. Neat visitor! She will keep the rabbits away.

Leash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leash said...

Does she still land in your yard? threy are very territorial. If a mated pair is in your neighborhood warn anyone with small dogs and cats, I am in Ontario and have seen them take HUGE rabbits that were the size of my Shih Tzus!! But they are beautiful and Majestic to watch while they ride thermals!

I am originally from Knoxville Tennessee and I miss "HOME" soo much your garden is beautiful! Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

This is a Cooper's hawk. Google photos of one and compare to Red Tailed.